OPTIMISE YOUR STRENGTHS: How To Increase Your Energy and Enjoyment At Work
On the 15th of May we had a great turn out for this event encouraging us to explore the things we do that feel natural and authentic, while giving us energy and enjoyment. Una’s message was clear - by recognising and using our strengths wisely we can find greater fulfillment and give our best at work and home.
On arrival we were greeted by an array of portraits of powerful women from the environmentalist Greta Thunberg to Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court, Ruth Bader Ginsberg ‘RBG’. Over refreshments Una handed out sticky notes and encouraged us to write up the strengths we associated with each woman next to her picture.
This warm-up got us ready for a highly interactive session where we shared our stories, listening and learning as we recalled times we felt energised and truly in ‘the zone’. The conversation and resources Una provided, allowed us to name our strengths, discuss how we might use these strengths more effectively and consider how we can draw on the strengths of those around us to build high performing teams.
Tops tips from the session:-
• Optimise = use the RIGHT STRENGTH, to the right amount, in the right
way, and at the right time.
• Stop to notice what is happening in your body –check in with your energy levels and notice what feeds you and what doesn’t.
• Write a note of the good days and reflect on what was happening.
• Practice – offer to lead/collaborate on a project where you can effectively use your top strengths
• Wear your strengths glasses – be open and look around you for colleagues strengths in action – listen, acknowledge and encourage
• Get support –enlist a mentor /coach who can encourage and challenge you and /or participate in a learning opportunity that provides you with skills that enable you to further develop your strengths
• Watch Out for overuse of a strength or combination of strengths– this is where we can derail. It is essential to dial up and down our strengths as appropriate to the situation.
Una is available to run workshops aimed at using a Strengths approach to developing high performing teams and she provides Strengths based 1-2-1 coaching packages. For more information Una’s website is www.unamurphy.co.uk and her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks goes to Beazley who kindly hosted the event at their offices with a wonderful view of the Thames at Tower Bridge.